Saturday, February 24, 2007

Missing Aunt Pearl by Susan Day

Each person has special qualities, I believe…it’s just that, in some people those special qualities are crystal clear to all of us. Whether you meet them for 10 minutes or know them for your whole lives, you just know immediately that they are “gems.”

My Aunt Pearl was and will always be one of those people in my heart.

She knew me before I even knew her. She met me when I was born. She and Uncle Manny bought my first carriage. My mom and dad strolled around the streets of Brooklyn with me bundled up in that carriage. Aunt Pearl probably pushed my carriage too.

Until her devastating illness slowly took her away, she was one of those few people in my life that felt like a mom to me. I knew that she loved and cared about me and, later, my own family just as my mom would care about us. She was loving and genuine. Over the years, I have saved many of the cards that she would send to the four of us because they were coming from such a dear person in my life.

Her words always made you feel loved and cared for, as did her soft kisses and gentle touch. When our daughter Melanie was born in August, 1983, the words she wrote to all of us reflect what I mean:

Dear Sue, Rollie and Melanie,
Whoever you’ll be, for the Days, all your days, shall be full of love. Add all the other offerings of joy and gladness and you are grand beyond compare.

Our love and devotion to all,
Pearl and Manny

I miss you, Aunt Pearl.