Saturday, February 24, 2007

Reminiscence from Judy Pollock Weber

Dear Ruth,
I doubt if you remember me, but I was your third-grade teacher at PS 131 in Brooklyn. My name was Miss Pollock (Judy) and I remember you very well. I remember that you were best friends with Michelle Festa. I had your class for only a few months and then I left to be a reading teacher at the school. Phoebe Siegel became your teacher. I remember that you were a very cute and bright kid. The reason that I'm writing is that I saw the obit of your mother's death in the NY Times today and I immediately recognized her name. I remember her very well. She was a lovely woman - very young at that time - bright and "classy." I loved talking to her and I still remember what she looked like. I was so sorry that she suffered form Alzheimer's disease. For a woman like she was, it must have been a nightmare for you and your father, as well as for her.I looked up your name on Google and came up with all the information about you and I must say that your background is very impressive. You've had some wonderful jobs and I'm sure that your mother was very proud of you.As I said, I doubt that you remember me because you were a little girl then and I was an adult (which makes me rather "of a certain age" now). I spent my whole career in PS 131 as reading teacher and have been retired for 13 years. I love being retired - I live in the city and take advantage of all the city has to offer.Again, I want to express my condolences to you . I was very sorry to read this news about her today. Judy Weber